Home | Student Resources | Financial Aid | What Are The Different Federal Education Grants

What Are The Different Federal Education Grants

Go Back to School

When you’re planning to attend school, you may be wondering what federal education grants are available to you. Federal education grants are designed to help students cover the costs of their tuition and other educational expenses. In this blog post, we will explore the different types of federal education grants available and what they can do for you. We will also provide tips on how to apply for these grants and what to expect when applying.

The Perkins Loan

The Perkins Loan is a federal loan program that offers low-interest loans to students who are attending college. The maximum amount that you can borrow from the Perkins Loan program is $5,500 per year. You must also have at least partial financial support from your family to be eligible for a Perkins Loan.

The Perkins Loan program is one of several federal education grants available to students. The other grants include the Federal Stafford Loan Program, the Federal Pell Grant Program, and the Federal Work-Study Program. Each program has different requirements and eligibility criteria, ensure you read the specific descriptions before applying.

The Stafford Loan

The Stafford Loan is a federal student loan program that was created in 1965. The program provides low-interest loans to students who are attending college or vocational school. The maximum amount that a student can borrow through the Stafford Loan program is currently $35,000. The interest rate on a Stafford Loan is currently 6.8%.

Go Back to School

There are two types of Stafford Loans: Direct and Federal Perkins Loans. A Direct Stafford Loan is an unsecured loan that is administered by the U.S. Department of Education. A Federal Perkins Loan is a federally guaranteed, direct loan that is provided by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).

To qualify for a Stafford Loan, you must enroll in an eligible degree or certificate program at an accredited school. Also, a recognized accrediting agency must accredit the school. Eligible schools include public universities, community colleges, private nonprofit colleges and vocational/technical schools. Qualifying for a Stafford Loan if enrolled in an apprenticeship or training program leads to certification or a professional degree.

Go Back to School

You may not qualify for a Stafford Loan if you have outstanding debt from previous educational loans like Direct Unsubsidized Loans or Subsidized Student Loans.

Receiving financial aid from sources like scholarships or grants in the past 12 months disqualifies you for a Stafford Loan.

The PLUS Loans

The PLUS Loans are a type of federal student loan that allow parents of undergraduate or graduate students to borrow an additional amount of money. They are available to both parents and students who have not yet completed their undergraduate or graduate studies. The PLUS Loans are interest-free for the first five years, and then have a fixed interest rate of 5%. After the first five years, the interest rate on the PLUS Loans is based on the US Treasury Rate.

PLUS loans are subject to certain eligibility requirements. Your eligibility depends on your financial need and your family’s income. You must enroll in an eligible program at an accredited school. You cannot use the loan for tuition expenses covered by other sources like scholarships, grants, or employer tuition reimbursement plans.

There are several different types of federal education grants available to help you pay for college costs. Grants range from large institutional grants that provide a significant amount of aid to smaller grants that provide more targeted assistance. Federal education grants can come in a variety of forms including scholarships, fellowships, and student loan repayment assistance programs. The Pell Grant, specifically for low-income students, provides funding for basic educational costs not covered by other sources.

Federal education grants offer thousands of dollars in financial aid each year to help you cover the cost of college tuition and other related expenses. Visit Grantsinfo.com or Studentaid.gov to learn more about all the different types of federal education grants available and how you can qualify for them.

The Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is a need-based, financial aid program that provides undergraduate students with funds to help cover the cost of tuition, fees, and related expenses at participating colleges and universities. The grant is available to students who have demonstrated financial need. The maximum grant award is $5,500 per year.

To qualify for the Federal Pell Grant, you must enroll in an undergraduate degree program at a participating college or university. You must also have demonstrated financial need. This grant is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, with no guarantee of acceptance. To apply for the Federal Pell Grant, you will need to submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form.

The Federal Pell Grant program provides assistance to millions of students each year. It is one of the most popular types of student financial aid available.

The Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study is a government loan program that helps students pay for school by working in government jobs. This allows you receive a Federal Work-Study award if you are enrolled at an eligible educational institution and meet the eligibility requirements.

The Federal Work-Study program offers several types of awards, each with its own eligibility requirements:

The most common type of Federal Work-Study award is the Direct Subsidized Loan (DSL). To be eligible for a DSL, you must be enrolled in school and have financial need. Eligibility requirements change yearly, so make sure to check the current terms and conditions before applying.

The remaining types of Federal Work-Study awards are the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, the Perkins Loan, and the PLUS Loans. Eligibility requirements for these loans vary, but all three require you to have financial need and be enrolled in school.

To be eligible for a Federal Work-Study award, you must first apply through your school’s financial aid office. Your school will then determine whether you are eligible for a DSL or one of the other types of awards.

The Federal Work-Study Process

Once your school has determined your eligibility, you will need to fill out an FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid) to apply for a Federal Work-Study award. You can find more information on the FAFSA website or from your financial aid officer.

After you have filled out your FAFSA and received your results, you will need to apply for a Federal Work-Study award through the Department of Labor. You can find application forms and information on the Department of Labor website.

If you are accepted for a Federal Work-Study award, you will need to find a job and start working as soon as possible. Your work schedule will depend on the type of award you receive, but usually you will work 20 hours per week.

Federal Work-Study is a great way to help pay for school while you are working in government jobs. Make sure to apply for a Federal Work-Study award before enrolling in school and be prepared to start working right away!

Final Thoughts

Federal education grants can be a great way to get your kid into the college of their dreams without having to break the bank.

Once you receive approval after applying, stay on track with your obligations to avoid any mishaps with your student loan. Stick with your budget, and all will be well. Congratulations on your future!

Go Back to School